According to the European Union outlines, language education in the pre-school years widely differs within the Member States of Europe, and it is carried out with mixed results across countries. This indicates the need to encourage a unified language education programme in the pre-school years in Europe, supporting on the one hand first language development, while promoting on the other the acquisition of foreign (for example, English) or L2 languages (as in the case of immigrant children).
The Erasmus+ Project EDUGATE – Multilingual teaching in early childhood education and care is aimed at reaching this goal.
The main objectives of EDUGATE are in agreement with the priorities of Education and Training 2020 (ET 2020), the framework for cooperation in education and training. The aim of ET 2020 is to promote lifelong learning and mobility, by improving the quality and efficiency of education and training. As a consequence, equity, social cohesion and active citizenship will be also enhanced. These objectives might be considered in line with those of EDUGATE project.
7 partner organizations participate in the project:
- Comune di Piacenza – Lead Partner (Italy)
- University of Milano-Bicocca (Italy)
- Urzad Gminy Krasne (Poland)
- Education, culture and sports department of Riga (Latvia)
- Goeteborg University (Sweden)
- Zakladni skola a materska skola ANGEL v Praze 12 (Czech Republic)
- FINI zavod Radece, delo za mlade (Slovenia)